Sunday, October 19, 2008

Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-by-Step Lessons

This is a book by Barbara Sher, also the author of Wishcraft. I particularly like several of her processes, which I've used for years without ever realizing it was a process.

The Wish/Obstacle Solution:

Tell as many people--friends, colleagues, people on the bus--what you wish and what is the obstacle you face.

For example, "I wish to go to the Himalayas (wish) but I need to talk to someone who has been there first."

Her premise is that our minds go into problem-solving, even when we don't plan on it, because we're natural problem-solvers.

Inadvertently, I used this technique years ago when I thought I might have to have hand surgery. I asked everyone who was the best hand surgeon. And a consensus from disparate places began to form.

Later, turned out that this eminent hand surgeon agreed with me (without my ever saying anything). He said the surgery could cause me more harm than good. After that, a number of doctors reversed their diagnoses to match his.

Sher gives several examples, including one where someone stands up in a workshop and declares that it's her dream to dance with Patrick Swayze. Turns out that another woman knew he'd be at his mother's resort on Thursday night, and the woman was able to meet and have that dance.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lorrie,

    Thanks for sharing this lesson! Sounds like a cross between "Six Degrees of Separation" and "Law of Attraction." Who-a ~ I shall certainly practice it after reading the post!

    Namaste,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete